Growing up as a Plus size girl, fashion was never really my friend. I had to stick to what covered and hid my body. Recently I have discovered that Plus size is OK, thanks to all the inspirational people who have lived it up plus size style (big shout out to the Buzzfeed women, they have a special place in my heart). Within the past year, I think somebody in society and pop culture has flicked a switch, which has made the phrase plus size become less of a taboo and more of a social norm. For me personally, this has meant a push in the right direction to accepting my body and an intense love for fashion. The boost in the availability of plus size fashion has risen, yet there is still a limit to what you can buy. Don’t get me wrong it is improving, but this has meant I’ve fallen in love with a style that I could not possibly wear because of availability. The styles that have inspired me to fall in love with fashion don’t come from Plus size ranges, which seems unusual, but it all adds to the journey of finding my style that I’m taking. So here are the ten styles that have made me fallen in love with fashion:
- The Michael Kors 2015 Spring/Summer collection, this is one of my favourite collections, purely for the skirts alone. They are opaque skirts layered with flowers. They are honestly beautiful and I’d love to be able to have one.
- Chanel’s Haute Couture 2016/17 Autumn/Winter collection, this is one of the more recent styles that I love, to me it seems very eclectic and almost 80’s inspired (Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink-Esque).
- Rachel Antonoff’s 2016 Autumn/Winter Collection. This collection definitely feels very 70’s inspired. It’s a beautiful collection full of retro styled pieces.
- Valentino’s Spring 2017 Collection, a beautiful gown collection, with some amazingly detailed work.
- Gucci’s embroidered denim collection, seen on stars like Cara Delvigne and Kylie Jenner, this collection first started my obsession with Fashion. Plus ask anyone I know, I love embroidery.
- Alexander McQueen’s floral creations are to die for honestly, every time I look at them I feel like I have stepped out of Alice in Wonderland.
- Iris Van Herpen’s 3d Printed collection, this is an extraordinary collection, a complete contrast to the other collections. Structure is the key to this collection.
For me fashion used to be something that I couldn’t relate to, but now I think I’ve discovered who I am through it.